Ambrosia is so very excited to announce that we will now be incorporatingguest bloggers from various backgrounds and expertise into our website! This week, we welcome Holistic Nutritionist, TishaRiman of The Nourished Mind and her incredible Apple Tart recipe!
Gluten-Free “Goodness” – TishaRiman, Holistic Nutritionist
I am so excited to share this recipe– I baked this last week and promptly ate the whole thing in the course of a weekend. Not a bad feat I would say. The great thing about this tart is that it’s super simple and leaves a lot of room for error (my kind of recipe). As a Holistic Nutritionist (and blogger over at thenourishedmind.ca), I naturally gravitate toward recipes that are nutritious, easy to make and most importantly, welcomed by friends and family who don’t really care that it’s free of refined sugar/gluten-free/kissed by angels.
I encourage you all to test it out (and even switch it up by adding nuts, cranberries, orange zest, etc) and sharing your experiences!
Best of health,
2 cups millet flour
1 1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
For the filling
4-6 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
For the crust
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine millet flour, almond flour and sea salt in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Over low heat, melt coconut oil and maple syrup together. Add mixture to food processor and pulse until well combined. You may need to stop and mix with a spatula.
- Press mixture into a greased tart pan, and stab the bottom with a fork a few times. Bake for 10-15 minutes until firm, but not browning.
For the Filling
- Mix all ingredients together – Have the juice ready to add to the apples as you cut them to prevent browning.
- Add apples to the filling however you like (I tried to fan them out, but you could easily just toss them all in). Reserve the extra liquid for a glaze at the end.
- Bake tart for 30-45 minutes until the crust is brown and the apples are soft.
- Brush the tart with reserved apple liquid (not pictured) to add moisture back to the top layer.
What are your favourite gluten-free treats?! Let us know in the comments below!